Thursday, May 8, 2014

Anxiety, Stress, and Other Annoying Things

Hi Guys! I hope you're all having a wonderful week so far. We've almost made it to Friday! 
Today's post is going to be a little different from my others, but technically this is a lifestyle blog, so there will be future posts like this one. 
May seems to be a really busy time for everyone. From exams to work to the end of the school year, there's always something going on, and I'm totally relating. During my spare time today I had a look at my planner, and I pretty much have something to do until mid-July! Yeah, that's a lot.
Naturally, my anxiety kicked in, and when I say kicked in, I mean it busted down the door and hit me like a bulldozer. I've had anxiety ever since I could remember, and it's prevented me from doing so much that I highly regret missing out on now. If you have anxiety, you know the feeling of absolute dread and despair in your stomach and throat, sometimes for a silly reason, or no reason at all. The thought of speaking to anyone or going out makes you feel even more sick, and it's like you're being held hostage by your own brain. Having anxiety is very common, a lot of people have it, but to different degrees, that's why someone may tell you "Oh you're fine, you're just overreacting". But that only makes it worse. 
I had a recent case where I was taking an exam for my art class, and the two boys (I'm calling them boys because they haven't proven to me that they're men) in front of me talked constantly. I know this doesn't sound bad, but let me elaborate. They were throwing out very vulgar, racial, and sexist remarks for three.hours.straight. I couldn't take it, and no matter what the teacher said, they continued. I felt like I would've just broken down right there on the art room floor. I shouldn't have drove myself under my conditions, but I did. I was shaking and sweating and crying over pretty much anything that was less than perfect. I'd never had an anxiety attack before then, and it was definitely an experience. Since then, I've researched ways to handle my stress and anxiety, and although it's not gone completely, I've learned to cope and soothe my symptoms.

A few simple tricks:
  • Take a deep breath in. All the way in, until you can't inhale anymore. Then release until you've pushed all of the bad air out of your lungs. This always clears my mind for a moment.
  • Drink some water. Lots and lots of water.
  • Think of an event, place, or person that makes you happy.
  • Listen to music. Carry headphones with you in your purse or backpack.
  • Exercise. Exercise releases endorphin's into your brain, making you happier. Plus, you'll look and feel great after! ;)
  • Tell yourself that you're fine, you will be okay. You're brain is tricking you into thinking you're not. It will be okay, nothing is as bad as you expect it will be. Ever!
If you try these tips, and you still feel overly anxious, please consult a doctor as soon as possible. They'll be able to proscribe a medication for you. Also, check out therapists near you and take a test visit, they're there for you. 
If you have anxiety, depression, or any other mental disorder, I want you to know that you're not alone. There are thousands of others out there just like you. Don't be afraid to talk to someone you trust, it'll help. You are worth it. You can do it. You are an amazing human being. 
If you ever need to talk to someone please don't ever hesitate to talk to me. You can message me on twitter, instagram, or tumblr. I'm always here to listen. Everything between us, STAYS between us. 

For more advice, check out my "helppp" board on Pinterest.

Lets Be Pals:


No comments:

Post a Comment